Wednesday 23 April 2014

Jessie Hearts NYC by Keris Stainton


Jessie flys out to New York with her best friend Emma for the summer, but the only problem is she hasn't seen her mum, Natalie, ever since she moved out there a year ago. While trying to forget about her awful breakup Jessie decides to look out for hot new attractions to distract her from thinking about her parents and trying to figure out a future for herself. Finn on the other hand has lived in New York all his life but can can only ever seem to dream about Sam, who just so happens to be his best friends girlfriend. Will New York be the answer to Jessie's dreams or will it be her downfall.

This was definitely not what I expected it to be at all, I thought it was a book more for children, but it turns out it was young adult more than anything. I actually picked this book up because I was in the need of a quick read as I had just finished reading some heavy material, so I decided some light reading was in order.

At times Jessie did annoy me especially when it came down to her mum, she just bottled down her feelings and never had the courage to express them until the very end, though I guess thats character development for you! Sometimes I wondered if Emma was real at all because she sort of acted like Jessie's guardian angel telling her all the right things to do and say, but other than that she was a very bland character who agreed with everything Jessie said.

Finn clearly projected his idea of a girlfriend onto Sam which is why he was so infatuated with her, this was because she was nice to him in a friendly way which he perceived as a privilege because he knew deep down he was out of her league. It become irritating when Finn kept reminding himself that Sam was his best mates girlfriend, if he was really best friends with Scott then he should of told him about how he felt about Sam, though I don't know if a guy would actually do this in real life because I'm a girl! Also another note about Finn and Scott's friendship was that neither Scott was truthful throughout the whole book, Finn knew Scott was acting suspiciously but Scott never really gave him an answer as to why until the very end.

However I did enjoy the pop culture references, which made it totally relatable to any reader of this generation. The fact that TV shows and movies filmed in New York were mentioned throughout kept me interested because I am also an avid film watcher and I'm also in the film industry.

Definitely give this one a read if you want a quick read or you are interested by the synopsis!

***
________________________________________________________________________________
You can get Jessie Hearts NYC online or at your nearest available bookstore.
I brought my copy which I purchased for £1/2.99 from The Works.

No comments:

Post a Comment