Sunday 5 October 2014

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

There has been a lot of hype surrounding Stephanie Perkins, I must admit I wasn't very interested about Anna and The French Kiss, but once it came up on iBooks for a ridiculously cheap price I made the purchase. Though it was only last week that I finally decided to read it on my trains journeys to uni.

Anna is forced to to study abroad in France for her final year of schooling, although unhappy with the decision Anna find that she's not entirely alone as the school she's placed at is solely for American citizens. Which is where she makes a new group of friends, however one of those friendships goes too far, causing a rift between friendships that cannot be salvaged or can it?

Anna in my opinion was so annoying the first hundred pages, if not more, she kept whining about how the move to France had ruined her life. Anna should of been more grateful that she got to spend an entire year living in France, something that most people can't afford. Its these experiences in life that we can look back on, which is something that I can relate to as I also spent a year living in Spain when I was younger, something that I greatly miss. Another annoyance was that Anna kept making a big deal about that she was the new kid and couldn't speak the language, sometimes in life you've just got to get through with it and do not care what people think about you, don't waste your life on these things. But when the pace started to lift Anna's annoyance slowly deflated, which finally allowed her to mature and actually speak to the locals for once without getting embarrassed.

When introduced to St Clair, he was presented as the most charismatic, charming, social boy of the year and probably the whole school, so there wasn't a great deal of what not to like about him. Though St Clair seemed very mysterious throughout as we didn't get to see his actual self through all those layers he's been building up, probably due to an abusive childhood.

I guess the only disappointment I had with this book was the predictions, because I guessed most of them way early on, but who can expect contemporaries to be completely predictably free because they aren't.

I'm not sure if I'll continue with the trilogy as I read a sample of Lola and the Boy Next Door and I just could not get into it, but I do like the premise of Isla and the Happily Ever After, so I may come back to those later, but who really knows, maybe I won't. However one thing I do like about the trilogy are the covers, which are stunning, so kudos to whoever designed them. Anna and the French Kiss is a toss up between three or four stars, but for now its three.

***
______________________________________________________________________________
You can get Anna and the French Kiss online or at your nearest available bookstore.
I brought my copy from iBooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment