Saturday 18 October 2014

Love, Rosie (Where Rainbows End) by Cecelia Ahern | Spoilers

With the film release of Love, Rosie this month I decided to finally read the book, which has been on my tbr pile for a while, before I watch the film!

Rosie Dunne has always spent her whole life with best friend Alex Stewart ever since they met at school when they were five years old, but all that changes when Alex's dad accepts a job offer in Boston. When Rosie finally accepts that her best and only friend is leaving she does her best to pass the time left at school studying hard enough to get accepted to Boston college, so she can be closer to Alex. But one drunken mistake at the school prom leaves Rosie in a situation that she can't very well undo because it turns out Rosie will never get to live her dreams as a hotel manager but instead a mother, a single one at that when the father of her child runs when he learns of the news. Devastated, Rosie tries her best to raise her daughter, Katie, and wonder what her life would of been like if she had moved to Boston to be with Alex.

Rosie and Alex keep in touch through letters, emails, instant messaging, and texts spanning through fifty years, which is quite incredible if you think about it, not that many people from school keep in touch these days.

At times I wished Rosie would speak her mind and not let others opinions bring her down, which also applies to Alex. I just wanted them both to express their feelings, but thats where character development comes in, so there'd be no point of the book of they said what they felt sooner, and of course they grow as people finding their own path making their own mistakes which they truly learned from. Though I really wish Rosie and Alex got together sooner as I did want them to have a family but the age they were when they eventually got together they were far too old, so that was kind of sad but also a heartfelt moment when they finally came to their senses!

There were times when I really didn't like Ruby as I found her annoying and I just wanted her to vanish but other times I found myself laughing at her snide comments. I certainly did not like Greg one bit his character seemed very off and I did wonder why he was ever with Rosie if he kept going to these 'business meetings'. Throughout the whole book I really wanted to know what Kevin was up to when we didn't hear from him as he was quite a hidden and mysterious character and only really showed up when he wanted something. I was quite surprised at the turn of events when Brian showed up the minute Rosie made her mind up to flee the country, I really did want her to leave even if that meant Katie not knowing who her father really was.

This format of writing is very unique and of course very fast paced, I managed to read Love, Rosie in two days! Overall I really liked this book, though I felt as if there was something missing, which is why I've rated it a total for four stars.

****
______________________________________________________________________________
You can get Love, Rosie online or at your nearest available bookstore.
I brought my copy from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment