Thursday 12 June 2014

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

With the hype surrounding this book I wanted to be in on the secret everyone was in on, the description is very vague about what this book is actually about other that there's a big twist and the less you know the more shocking it will be.

Be prepared for a ton of spoilers...

Cadence Sinclair is among the elitist Sinclair's, three generations and Cady is the eldest of her generation. Cady's grandparents own an island that her aunts and cousins visit every summer, having the most marvellous time catching up and having debates. Cady is part of the Liars, consisting of her two cousins, Johnny and Mirren, along with their best friend Gat a non Sinclair who has been visiting the island along with Johnny's family for years. But on the fifteenth summer Cady ends up in an accident which causes her to become amnesiac. No one is allowed to tell her what happened that fateful day of the accident, only the Liars know and they aren't forthcoming.

Even though this book is very short it took me quite awhile to get through it, only after when we were introduced to Cady's amnesiac state that I started to lose interest, I just wanted to put it down and read something else. But I managed to read it all in the end and I'm still disappointed at how the events turned out, I was expecting something a little darker, stranger, more twisted, definitely not something like this.

To me the middle of the book was a waste of time, the beginning and end had structure, but the middle had none, it was very missed matched, I just got bored very easily with all these characters and their conservations. I had many theories from the beginning of the book of what could happen as we reach the end but none of them even came close.

I was intrigued with the writing style it is very metaphoric, so its something that you have to get used to or you may literary believe word for word its true, only really its just a metaphor!

The only characters I liked in the book were Johnny and Mirren, they were so close at the beginning of the book that I thought the dark twist is that their friendship would evolve into a romantic relationship, but no I was wrong, it wasn't even that sinister.

Gat became a very annoying character, I just didn't find him very likeable though he did make some good points about certain subject areas. At times I found myself asking did he cause the accident because of his shady movements, but no I was wrong again. Cady on the other hand is a very unreliable protagonist considering she's has amnesia, which is why we got fragmented memories. But I'm glad finally had the idea to write them all down to create a mind map. I questioned why Cady gave away her belongings and I guess it makes sense after reading that she gave away all her possessions because of her subconscious guilt, only she found out about that too late after she had literary given everything she once loved away.

However I liked for a fact it includes a copy of a map of the island and a family tree of the family, that way you can get to know the family before you begin to read and also use it as a reference.

I'm definitely not going to be reading this one again, this will be added to my unhaul pile, maybe its because I haven't read anything else like this before that it took me a long time to get into or that I just didn't like it in general. I just don't get the point of what this story was trying to tell, other than Cady unknowingly killed her best friends on their fifteenth summer all because they wanted to burn down the symbolic Sinclair house down. As their grandfather was so power driven that it was tearing their family apart and there was nothing they could do about it other than burn down their grandfather's pride to hurt him. Only it hurt him a lot more since it killed them, his grandchildren, and the power he hungers for still continues to this day. Maybe the message of the story is that people don't change, even after a huge catastrophe...

**
________________________________________________________________
You can buy We Were Liars online or at your nearest available bookstore.
I brought my copy for £3.99 at The Book People.

No comments:

Post a Comment