Thursday 12 June 2014

Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead

It has been a year since I read the previous books in the Vampire Academy series, and I have been hoping to complete the series this summer starting with Shadow Kiss. As the case with books in a series each one prompts your memory through the course of the book reminding you of what had happened in the previous books, so I was glad that Shadow Kiss gave prompts otherwise I would of have to reread Vampire Academy and Frostbite again!

Its been weeks since Mason's death and Rose carries on with her daily routine, though she also bears the wait of her guilt for causing Mason's death. Leading Rose to have visions of him, surely these are hallucinations? Without pressing this new found issue further she also has to deal with her latest assignment where all the novice guardians have to pass the field experience and of course Rose without a doubt knows that she will be positioned with guarding Lissa. But that is not the case, she is actually paired with Lissa's boyfriend, Christian, not the best of choices but she goes along with it. As the course of her field experience goes on Rose also becomes more aggressive and has sporadic episodes of rage towards people, could Rose be losing her mind, is the guilt consuming her, only time will tell.

Shadow Kiss was kind of slow paced to begin with, so it was difficult to grab my attention, but once I kept pushing through I was back into the swing of things, i.e. the Vampire Academy world! Along with Rose I kept thinking of what could possibly be wrong with her, due to the ghost sightings and that it maybe connected to her bond with Lissa. At times I began to get frustrated with Rose because she didn't tell anyone about these sightings she was visualising, but of course nothing can secret for to long in the Academy!

The pace started to take a turn at almost halfway through the book which keep me gripped, I could not put the book down! Especially the scene with with Dimitri and Rose, which I must say was pretty steamy, as I was not expecting that in any of the books to be honest, I always thought Dmitri would stick to his words, but no I was wrong.

The epic battle with Rose and Christian was pretty bad ass, I loved their team up, which I guess is the beginning of a new revolution where Moroi and guardian team ups can be just as effective. Even though there's a very mixed opinion about it being a taboo subject but I can only guess it will most definitely come into play in the next books.

When Rose decided it was time to put herself first instead of the Moroi I was glad for her, even though it was sad to say goodbye to Lissa she must carry on her own mission, a promise that she made to Dimitri a long time ago.

I do agree that with book after book in the Vampire Academy series they become more and more enthralling, its going to be such a shame when I eventually finish this series. Of course if your reading this you've already read the previous two books, so what are you waiting for? Pick up this book or if you've already read it pick up the next one (which I'm currently reading as I type this review up) because you won't want to miss out on all the action and witty comebacks this series has to offer!

*****
________________________________________________________________
You can buy Shadow Kiss online or at your nearest available bookstore.
I borrowed my copy from my sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment