Monday 8 September 2014

The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas

So I had initially held off reading the Throne Of Glass series because I had a feeling I wouldn't like it, but as usual the books I end up thinking I won't like I end up enjoying them more than I'd intentionally thought. It took me about a week to read The Assassin's Blade, I had trouble getting into that one the most, and it took me the whole weekend to read both Throne Of Glass and Crown Of Midnight, so a book a day.

The Assassin's Blade is a full bound book comprised of five short stories or as most people say novellas. The events that take place in The Assassin's Blade take place a year before Throne Of Glass, so we get to see Celaena Sardothien in action and follow her through her most adventurous journeys yet.

I made a point of reading The Assassin's Blade first instead of publication order, after all this is a prequel and I wanted to know as much as I could about Celaena Sardothien's backstory. Celaena starts off as a sixteen year old girl ready for any mission she is contracted to do, but something strikes a nerve in her and ruins a deal she was sent out to complete and seal. However due to Celaena disobeying orders she sent away to the Red Desert to serve her punishment, from then onwards we follow Celaena's journey to and from the Red Desert and also who she encounters along the way.

Of course throughout Celaena's journey I could see things coming from a mile off, though there was one thing I did not see coming and that was a really tough scene to read through. However there is still a question that lingers in the back of my mind about one thing that hasn't been brought to light in the next instalments. If you've already read The Assassin's Blade keep reading if not don't read the rest of this paragraph and move on to the next. Okay, so the question I really want answered is who killed Ben, Celaena's mentor, when Sam mentioned he could of possibly been set up by Arobynn I wondered why but I feel it is the same reason of what happened with Sam, Arobynn didn't like sharing his belongings or was it something more sinister?

Though I did find it particularly slow to begin with I was definitely on the edge of my seat towards the end, by which Celaena is now seventeen and making choices that will forever change the rest of her life. This made me want to read Throne Of Glass because I had to know what would happen to Celaena once I had grown attached to her character, (the fact that she's a kickass assassin and has time to read and has taste in clothes makes her feel so much more relatable than any other character I've read about), and how she would deal with being betrayed, considering she is the most lethal assassin in Adarlan.

Definitely recommend to the fans of The Hunger Games and the Grisha trilogy, Throne Of Glass is a six book series.

****
________________________________________________________________________________
You can get The Assassin's Blade online or at your nearest available bookstore.
I brought my copy from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment