Wednesday 14 May 2014

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

With the hype of this book circulating the internet at the end of last year it definitely left an impression on me that I needed to own this book and read it right away. So when a nearby store was selling it for a bargain I couldn't refuse the price and brought it and now this is where my review begins.

Cath and Wren are identical twins who've been inseparable all their lives, however that all changes when Wren decides she wants to gain independence by sharing a hall of residence at their first year of university without Cath. Cath on the other hand struggles to even contemplate what she's agreed to by accepting to live with a complete stranger on campus, something that she'd never thought she would ever do. But that doesn't matter as she's got Simon Snow to keep her busy from any interaction with her new roommate, Reagan. Cath has been writing Simon Snow fan fiction for as long as she can remember and with a strong fan following to keep in order she spends most nights in, compared to her twin who spends them out. Now handed with assignments to complete will Cath commit fully to her studies or will she continue to keep her Simon Snow fan fiction alive, the only thing that will never leave her unless she choses to stop.

I was very much hooked to this from the beginning, however for me the story was too long to keep up with that I had to force myself to keeping reading until the next chapter. I found some things were unnecessary and could have been condensed down to keep up the pace, from the very start I read the fan fiction snippets however once I got to the half way mark I lost interest in the fan fiction and just focused on the actual story.

At times I found Cath quite annoying especially when it came to her decision making, I would literary be thinking to myself why are you doing that just think for a moment before you make a bad decision. Such as continuing to write her Simon Snow fan fiction and ignore her coursework, I know how something can easily turn into an obsession or even keeping up to date to please your audience, which I can relate to by keeping my blog up to date but I always put my education first because for one you want to get decent grades and two further education isn't cheap.

When Nick was introduced I kind of shipped them together because they had so much in common but then later in the book I was disappointed with Nick and how badly he treated Cath. I'm still not sure if Cath deserved to be with Levi just because it took her a rather long time to figure out she actually liked him and that she didn't really act on her feelings until it was too late.

One thing I really wish this book included was a dual point of view between Cath and Wren because I would of really liked to know what Wren got up to when we didn't see her and how her relationships played out. I also really liked the fact that we got an origin story behind their names as I found them interesting to have such unusual names, but the story isn't as nice as you'd think it be.

My favourite characters throughout Fangirl were Reagan because of her overall presence and she spoke her mind ignoring the feelings of anyone around her, which I really liked. The other character that was most memorable was Art, Cath and Wren's dad, as he's such a relaxed person and supports his daughters decisions when necessary.

I am not for one a fan of ambiguous endings just because I'd like to have some closure of what happens overall to the characters, but other than that it was a good story, though because I had such high expectations I found this disappointing and lacking in areas.

***
________________________________________________________________________________
You can get Fangirl online or at your nearest available bookstore.
I brought my copy which I purchased for £3.50 from Asda.

No comments:

Post a Comment