Tuesday 11 February 2014

After Eden by Helen Douglas



When Eden realises that the new guy at school isn't at all what he seems, she starts investigating only to uncover something that should be impossible... time travel. Ryan has come from the future to alter an event from her best friend Connor's timeline and Eden's discovery has put everything in jeopardy.

I have read many futuristic books but nothing that includes time travel, so I thought I would give this one a try. The main factor I liked about this book was that the location was set in the UK, a place I can relate to seeing as most YA's seem to be set in America. Occasionally I became annoyed with Eden because of the way she acted around Ryan, instantly dropping her friends for him and convincing her actions were justifiable. Eden's supposed friendship with Connor felt strained and they were constantly outdoing each other, he acted more like an irritating brother than a best friend. The revelation at the end was quite surprising, though looking back there were hints laid out about that shocking twist of events. Pacing throughout was rather slow which at times made me want to read as fast as I could so I pick up the pace again.

Other than the minor annoyances it's a good first book to create a world full of decisions that could build up to a possible trilogy. I will certainly be waiting for the release of the sequel Chasing Stars, as I am not quite finished learning about Eden's future.
________________________________________________________________

You can buy After Eden online or at your nearest available bookstore.
Chasing Stars will be available on June 5th 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment